Tuesday, May 14, 2013

7505 is Still Alive!

Like Johnny #5, I'm still alive...in this class.



Had a slight hiccup yesterday. I mentioned in the first post that because of my full-time employment, I'm able to take classes for the price of air. I spoke way too soon, because Valdosta changed their fee structure and I owed money. I didn't know this. I didn't pay it. I got dropped from the class. So let me tell you about my Monday...

Let me start by saying that I had my wisdom teeth removed on Friday. Pretty well out of it all of Friday and Saturday. Come to work on Sunday and am able to start in on homework. Slight panic-flutter in the tummy region because, you know, Blazeview is just different enough to be super annoying and we have a LOT to read and do and I'm already falling behind, etc. But hey, I can handle it.

Get back to work on Monday, and I've got some low-grade pain in my jaw, but nothing too terribly bad. Kind of like new Blazeview- super annoying, but manageable. Realize through a round of emails with a friend and fellow MLIS student that I've been dropped from the class, and it's going to cost a couple of hundred dollars immediately to get back in to my classes (if they agree). Oh, and they don't take Visa. (Say what?!) Thankfully, I never lost access to Blazeview and could still post away. But I will say that I was compartmentalizing my panic. Panic over getting the work done for this class and then panic that I couldn't get re-registered and have to push back my graduation by one, possibly 2, semesters. Then there was the jaw pain and working with Blazeview and fighting off hunger and trying to serve the law students who were coming to the desk asking me to do my job. I was a bit overwhelmed. Note to self: it's impossible to compartmentalize panic- it just intensifies. I think my discussion posts during this time were not so great. I may have even done something unheard of  by sounding off about librarians grasping at straws to justify their work. Ouch. Sorry dude. It was the pain and the panic.

But all is well and good. Dr. Yang and Dr. Koehler were super wonderful in getting everything squared away with the Bursar's office. I've been re-registered. I completed the discussion posts, and now I can move on to the next thing! Yay.

7 comments:

  1. Emily! You persevered! Congratulations (or condolences) depending on how you feel about the workload. I am very impressed that you were able to post at all, and of course all your posts make perfect sense.

    Very happy you are staying in the class. We need your wisdom (oops, I hope you didn't lose it along with the tooth). Ha-ha.

    Now, let us overcome the wiki challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Asele, you're awesome! I love having class with you. You're a nut.

      Delete
  2. Glad you got it worked out. I hope your jaw feels better soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karin! Are you ready for GKR? Should be interesting...

      Delete
  3. Wow, Emily! Stressville! You handled it like a champ. I'm in admiration of you, and so glad it all worked out okay. I have this strange urge to check my BannerWeb, though.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, thanks Darla! Stressville, exactly. It's been a long time since I juggled stress like that.

      Delete
  4. It's getting a little better everyday. I'm just ready for something other than pureed food. Thankfully the boyfriend is a creative cook and has done a good job keeping the food interesting for me. I'm really lucky in sooo many ways.

    ReplyDelete