Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Gettin' Wiki with it

Just realized I'm showing my age with these posts. Between the "Short Circuit" movie reference yesterday and the Will Smith "Gettin' Jiggy wit It" song ref today, it's obvious that I spent my formative years in the 80s and 90s.

Anyhow, on with the assignment!

The WikiMatrix helped me pick out a possible wiki for my medium-sized public library. I wanted one that could be stored on our own system. We have limited funds and storing the data ourselves seemed the better option. Because we have a Windows operating system, we need a wiki that is compatible with it. In order to keep track of its usage, I wanted a wiki that would inform us of recent changes, the most and least popular pages, show page revisions, and offer analysis. To maintain flexibility in usage, it was important that the wiki be mobile and printer friendly. After considering all these characteristics, Foswiki seemed to be the best choice for us, and the fact that it is a free and open source software sealed the deal!

No comments:

Post a Comment